174 Grand Street in Williamsburg / Brooklyn
mixed use building: private residence above retail store
this our attempt to build NYC's first new building which fulfills the strict german Passiv Haus standard.
- walls: load-bearing 8" concrete masonry units with 6" EPS exterior insulation
- parapets: autoclave aerrated concrete blocks to avoid thermal bridging
- exterior finish: EFIS with 7" EPS
- interior finish: CMU painted, all electric installation exposed
- roof: 4" concrete on steel deck covered by 8" rigid insulation
- windows: Walch Windows from Austria
- residence entrance door: custom 4" thick wood panel
- one Daikin VRV Multisplit ducted indoor unit for remaining heating and cooling demand.
- Zehnder ComfoAir 350 Enery Recovery Ventilator
- exterior sun sail at the south facade to avoid summer overheating
S: Murray Engineering
PH: us and David White
photos by Raimund Koch